Friday, February 5, 2010

Skinny Girls Need Love too....I Guess.

I am all about self confidence and loving the skin your in, regardless of your size. With that being said, I've noticed that thin women are being portrayed as "fake" and "not real". Now this may sound a little weird coming from a full figured young lady like myself, but I don't find my confidence by downing another.

Tyra Banks just recently announced that she is doing a Teen Size Plus Size Modeling Competition. The title of said contest is "Fiercely Real". While I am happy that plus size women are getting love, I do not feel like we should downplay the characteristics of another body type to make people feel better. V Magazine is also guilty of fanning the fire. Their January 2010 issue was their plus size issue that included a "battle" between a skinny model Jacquelyn Jablonski and a plus size model Crystal Renn. Everyone would have a problem if a gorgeous man said "I only date skinny women", but no one would have a problem if a man said "I only date full figured women." Why is this? Is it because we are seen as as the underdogs?

 There isn't an overall belief that big is beautiful. Skinny is the norm as far as the standard of beauty. You can still look good at any size, but the thought that thin is in is here to stay. I cannot be happy with the one plus size only spread that plus size models get every now and then. Or the parade of skinny that is published through the magazines all year long. What will make me happy is equality. Do not make fun of skinny, and do not exclude fat! Women come in ALL shapes, and ALL sizes should be shown ALL year long.

No comments:

Post a Comment