Tuesday, July 26, 2011

To Invest or Not to Invest.....In My Future.

I was recently accepted to the Paul Mitchel Beauty Academy, and will be officially making huge strides towards my dream of being a professional hairstylist. But like everything in life, it seems like this place has a catch. I've always been really bothered when upscale salons have only one stylist that is the certified person who knows how to handle black hair (if they have that at all). How is it possible that there are salons that literally can't do African American hair? How could you call yourself a professional at hairstyling and you can't professional style my hair?

So here is my dilemma: I'm worried that when I start school in the fall, I will not be taught all the ins and outs of dealing with African American hair. I know that they will probably touch on it, but I'm not sure if they teach you how to professionally handle it. I'm investing so much money into my education ($20,000 to be exact), and now I'm coming to the realization that I might have to take more classes on how to weave, braid, treat and style A.A. hair elsewhere. Needless to say this isn't sitting to well with me.

The African American community has always had a rich history in hair. It is safe to say that us black folks will spend some serious money on our tresses. So why do so many salons and beauty schools neglect us? Time will only tell if I will need to seek outside help in my technique with A.A hair, but I sincerely hope I get my moneys worth this year. If not I will be spending a lot of money continuing my education...and to think that some people think that beauty school is the easy way out.

No comments:

Post a Comment